”Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you”–James 4:8 (NRSV).
Are you as close to God as you want to be? If not, why?
God has created us to be in relationship with Him. Inside each of us is a space that can only be filled by Him. For years—over 40 decades—I tried to fill that God-shaped hole with other things: people’s approval, a busy life, unhealthy relationships and material things. I was 47 when I cried out to God for direction in my life. My 28-year marriage had ended, my children were grown and I was lost.
Since October 2001, I have been on a journey to know Him better, to grow into the woman He created me to be and to follow the path He has laid out for me. Do I always get it right? No. Am I perfect? Not hardly. However, He is and His perfect plan is the one I seek.
Through keeping a daily prayer journal, I have discovered the following:
- God loves me unconditionally.
- He forgives me and asks me to forgive myself for past mistakes.
- Although He loves me as I am, He wants to do an extreme makeover on me—from the inside out.
- To grow spiritually, you will experience pain. I have learned that we grow in the valleys and not on the mountaintops.
- When I am weak, He is strong.
- He will never leave me nor forsake me.
- I can trust Him with my heart. He will lead me on the right path.
- When you surrender your life to Him, the real adventure begins.
I could continue with my list but the benefits of prayer journaling are ones you will experience for yourself when you take the challenge to try it for 40 days. Why 40 days? Because, according to the Bible, God made major changes and transformations during periods of 40 days.
- It rained for 40 days and 40 nights when God wanted to cleanse the world and start over. (Genesis 7:12 NIV)
- Noah waited another 40 days after it rained before he opened a window in the Ark.”
(Genesis 8:6 NIV)
- Moses was on the mountain with God for 40 days (twice).
(Exodus 24:18 NIV) (Exodus 34:28 NIV) (Deuteronomy 10:10 NIV)
- The Israelites spent 40 years in the wilderness, one year for each day they explored the Promised Land. (Exodus 16:35 NIV)
- Jonah warned the City of Nineveh they had 40 days until God would overthrow the city. The people repented in those 40 days and God spared the city.
(Jonah 3:4 NIV)
- Jesus fasted for 40 days in the wilderness. (Matthew 4:1-2 NIV)
I pray that you are hungry for more of God in your life. Try keeping a prayer journal for the next 40 days and let Jesus change your life?